Some of the best classics take hours to simmer, relegating them to Sunday afternoons. But here’s a secret: You don’t need hours to make a delicious bolognese. You just need a handful of quality ingredients and the right pot.
You could just use ground beef, but I think the key to extra flavor is a trifecta of ground meat: pork, veal, and beef. And a nice, big pot to hold it all. I like cast iron, because they retain heat and look pretty (read: you don’t have to stuff it into some cabinet when you’re not using it!).
So, today I’m going to give you the recipe for my version of bolognese and a chance to win the cast iron pot I cook it in.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 pounds ground beef, pork, veal mixture
1 large carrot, shredded
1 large white onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
28-ounce can of tomato sauce
28-ounce can of diced or crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 pound spaghetti
1. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef mixture. Cook until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Strain into a bowl, leaving approximately 1 tablespoon of fat behind. Set aside.
2. Add the carrot, onion, and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes until onion is translucent. Add salt, pepper, and Italian herbs. Cook about 3 minutes more.
3. Add the tomato paste and cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Deglaze with the wine, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
4. Add tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Return beef mixture to the pot. Simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Slowly stir in cream. Season to taste. Stir in pasta cooked to package instructions.
To win the pot pictured above:
Think this bolognese looks 💯? You can make it yourself… and in the same beautiful 5.2 liter cast iron pot from Denby.
🌟 DETAILS 🌟
Giveaway runs from 1/5 to 1/8 at 11:59 PM PST. Winner will be chosen at random once the entry period closes. (This giveaway is not endorsed, promoted, or sponsored by Instagram.)